Monday 3 November 2014

Challenge #144 week of 3rd November 2014

A few years ago I decided that I would change my attitude to what I'd always thought to be miserable November and think about it more positively. It works! November can be a wonderful month if you look for the good in it so I hope you will join me in welcoming what I'm calling "Incredible November"!

In honour of that feeling, I'd like to spend a few minutes thinking about the celebration of Guy Fawkes Night (Bonfire Night) on 5th November. If you don't know about this very British evening, Wikipedia can explain it to you here or the BBC site here.

Pinterest source here

Photo from the BBC here

While it's quite a grisly story and a nasty end to all of the plotters, especially poor Mr Fawkes, these days we celebrate this historical event with a cosy, warming bonfire; plenty of hot, delicious food; many glasses of mulled wine and lashings of fun fireworks.

Pinterest source here

Pinterest source here
As a child, a highlight of the night were the beautiful sparklers even though I was a little afraid of the little hot sparks I could feel through my gloves. Drawing shapes and words in the dark cold air was so much fun!


Now that I don't live in the UK, I really miss this über-British event and find myself a little homesick right now. I'll have to organise to go home at this time one year so that I get to celebrate it again - think of the photo opportunities!

So this week, I'd like you to be inspired by fireworks. I think that is broad enough to have something for everyone, wherever you are in the world! 

Don't forget to link up over at our Whimsical Musings Flickr gallery (here) with the tag WM#144.

We love it when you share how our prompt has inspired you to create :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We <3 comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...