Monday 18 June 2012

#43 Inspired by Ads

Hello, hello.

As promised on the boards (please don't forget that Lisa and I actively check, read and post on the discussion boards of our flick'r group - here), I created two layouts this week inspired by each of the suggested ads.

Of course, having noticed the ads myself, I knew I found them appealing and that this week would be easy for me. But in the process I wanted to show you how you can take something so graphic, clean or different and make it fit your style. I hope I accomplished that with my two layouts this week.

{best of} summer twenty ten


First off was a page inspired by the Sally Hansen Ad

from the get go I knew I wanted a strip of orange paper running up the length of the page and white alphas. This was the part of the page that drew me... but I couldn't decide if the nail chips should be embellishments or photos. In the end I chose a combination of both.

 I was able to incorporate little scraps of a variety of patterned papers which fit my style quite nicely.
 For actual embellishments I kept it really simple, with a layered sticker about the subtitle and fussy cut cameras from an Amy Tangerine paper from AC.
Overall the page feels like me although it was clearly inspired by the ad. It was the perfect way to incorporate 12 photos while still having some white space.

Easter 


Next up was the Banana Republic ad and admittedly this was more challenging.

First off, I wanted to find an oversized picture and couldn't find one in my stash. I also wanted to find a bold and vibrant floral paper for my background and came up empty handed. So I settled for multiple photos and a colorful floral paper.

 I completed the page above quite quickly and then let it sit on my desk for a few days to simmer. It felt too graphic and plain for my taste. Yes, I could have left it like that and called it a day - but I didn't. It had a lot of the elements of the ad that I loved, like the multi-sized titles in black, and the large photo area with frame around it. But it needed a little more whimsy.
This is the final result. I randomly stitched along the border several times and then inked the paper around the edges in the bold magenta and orange shades from the ad, giving me the "bold" I was going for. I also added some tone on tone embellishments that dress up the page without detracting from the general clean design.  The finished page more aptly fits my whimsical style and I like it better.

And there you have it. My layouts for this week. I hope you will share your creations with us on the gallery. Lisa will be back tomorrow with what promises to be another fun challenge.

xo.
Pamage

1 comment:

  1. As always gorgeous! I literally cheered when I saw how you'd dressed up the graphic Easter LO. Love.

    ReplyDelete

We <3 comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...